The Organizers of the 1st All Africa Postharvest Congress and Exhibition, comprising of Global stakeholders in the Postharvest sector and other partners, are announcing the All Africa Postharvest Technologies and Innovations Challenge, 2017. The aim of the challenge is to document and showcase the best emerging postharvest technologies and innovations with potential for scale-up. Additionally the challenge seeks to establish and strengthen linkages between innovators and potential investors to facilitate up-scaling and out-scaling of their innovations with the ultimate goal of reducing postharvest food losses. The call is open to individuals and institutions from or working in Africa. The technologies/innovations should either be at Testing or Market-ready stages.
The top TEN (10) innovators will pitch for their innovations in a plenary session of all stakeholders during the 1st All Africa Postharvest Congress and
Exhibition on 31st March 2017. The top TEN (10) innovators will receive a cash award (amounting to 35,000 US dollars) during the special plenary session. The top 20 postharvest technologies and innovations will be profiled in a special booklet edition and online platforms. The entries should be submitted by email to: email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org For more details about the 1st All Africa Postharvest Congress and Exhibition visit the website here
The entries should be written in English language in MS word or rich text format and have a maximum of TWO (2) PAGES in Times New Roman font 12. The entries MUST contain the following details:
1. Title – Name of the innovation – (maximum 15 words)
2. Biodata of the innovator(s) – Names and institutional affiliation and contact details (telephone and email) of all the innovators and if they have previously participated in another challenge. Include a passport photo of the lead innovator(s) and a brief (2 page) CV that includes 2 referees.
3. Geographical and food value chain focus – Brief description of the postharvest problem being addressed by the innovation, clearly showing the
importance and magnitude of the problem. The section should indicate the countries and regions where the technology has been developed and/
or where it has potential for application. (Max 150 words)
4. Technical quality – Summary of the technical aspects behind the technology / innovation. How does it work? How is it practically used to food
loss and waste reduction? Consider the following (but not limited to) aspects: energy requirements, water use, number of operators needed and their skill levels, servicing and maintenance, ability to reduce manual effort, etc. What is required to prepare, make or manufacture your innovation?
Can it be locally produced / fabricated? (Max 200 words)
5. Originality – What is innovative about your technology? What is the competitive advantage over other technologies? Has the technology or innovation been tested? A picture of the design, prototype or actual innovation should be submitted (Max 100 words).
6. Feasibility for commercialization – What would be the cost implication for production and commercialization? What is the level of enduser/
consumer acceptability of the technology/ innovation? Evidence of testing and analysis of commercial viability should be presented (Max
7. Potential for up-scaling and worth of investment – Describe briefly what you need to successfully commercialize or fully operate the innovation/ technology. This may include funding, technical skills, linkages, or any other (Max 100 words). Screening of the entries to identify the winning technologies/innovations will be conducted by a panel of globally-renowned jury in public and private sectors in relevant fields. The organizers and judges of the challenge will sign legally-binding nondisclosure and confidentiality agreements.
Screening of the entries to identify the winning technologies/innovations will be conducted by a panel of globally-renowned jury in public and private sectors in relevant fields. The organizers and judges of the challenge will sign legally-binding nondisclosure and confidentiality agreements.
Deadline for submission is 17th February 2017. For more details click here