Deadline: 30 Jun 2017
The Asia-Pacific Association of Agricultural Research Institutions (APAARI) is a unique voluntary, membership-based, apolitical and multi-stakeholder organization in the Asia-Pacific region.
It promotes and strengthens agri-food research and innovation systems through partnerships and collaboration, capacity development and advocacy for sustainable agricultural development in the region. The ultimate aim of APAARI is to help in realizing sustainable development goals in Asia and the Pacific.
The Agricultural Science and Technology Indicators (ASTI) work in Southeast Asia and the Pacific is implemented jointly by APAARI and IFPRI (through its ASTI Programme) and is funded by the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR), Canberra, Australia
APAARI wishes to recruit a suitably qualified person to the position of ASTI Coordinator/ Economist, assigned to the Agricultural Science and Technology Indicators (ASTI) Project to co-ordinate and implement the project in Southeast Asia and the Pacific. Also to work with APAARI professional team on enhancing investment in agri-food research and innovations in Asia and the Pacific. However, the recruitment for this position is subject to approval of ASTI project and availability of funding.
The Agricultural Science and Technology Indicators (ASTI) programme compiles, analyzes, and publishes agricultural R&D data, relating to institutional developments, investments, and human resource capacity in low- and middle-income countries. Placed under the International Food Policy Research Institute, the programme functions through collaborative alliances with national research agencies, regional coordinating bodies, and international institutions.
Roles and responsibilities
- Under the joint supervision of the APAARI Executive Secretary and ASTI’s Senior Programme Manager, the ASTI Coordinator/Economist will deliver on the following roles and responsibilities.
Coordination and overseeing of the ASTI project and contribution to APAARI efforts in developing/enhancing policy support to agri-food research and innovation systems.
Act as ASTI’s principal focal point for Southeast Asia and the Pacific.
- Facilitate qualitative and quantitative data collection through the national focal points and through country visits.
Implement and coordinate survey rounds in the countries under study. This includes capacity building of and regular communication with national focal points to discuss survey progress by email, phone, and occasionally through country visits.
- Validate and check survey data for omissions and inconsistencies, and discuss these omissions and inconsistencies with the national focal points.
- Estimate missing data by using ASTI estimation procedures, and calculate aggregated values to be published externally.
Conduct internet search for relevant secondary sources of information.
- Prepare draft country fact sheets and other country outputs, in close collaboration with ASTI team and national focal points.
Assist in the preparation of a regional synthesis report describing recent trends in agricultural research investment and capacity.
- Assist in the preparation of analytical reports on agricultural research investment, agricultural productivity, and quality of research systems.
- Update/create and maintain the country pages on the ASTI website.
- Present key findings of the survey at various events.
- Work closely with ASTI team members in Washington, D.C. and Belgium.
- As part of APAARI efforts, help develop innovative funding mechanisms for investment in agri-food research and innovations in Asia and the Pacific.
- Contribute to developing congenial policies in support of enhanced investment in agri-food research and innovations.
- Contribute to development of advocacy tools and establishment of a resource group to facilitate dialogue on enhanced investment in agri-food research and innovations.
Qualifications and experience
- Master’s degree in Economics, Econometrics, Agricultural Economics or equivalent.
- At least 5 years of experience in an economics research environment with ability and interest in working with and analyzing data and information.
Skills and abilities
- Strong ability and interest in working with economic data
- Strong software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and teamwork skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of diverse cultural backgrounds
- Well-developed analytical skills and synthesis skills
Excellent writing skills (in English)
Place of posting
APAARI Office, FAO Annex Building, 202/1 LarnLuang Road, Pomprab Sattrupai District, Bangkok 10100, Thailand.
Duration of appointment
Appointment will initially be for a period of three years with possibility of extension based on work performance. Persons serving National Agricultural Research and Development Systems or other relevant research and development organizations having the required qualifications and experience are also eligible to come on deputation provided their parent organizations are willing to retain their lien.
Salary and allowances
Salary and allowances are negotiable and shall be commensurate with the qualifications and experience as relevant to the job requirements. The overall salary and benefits will approximate to the P2 level in international service. The salary will be paid in US dollars and will be tax free.
The application, comprising CV and a short cover letter should be addressed to the Interim Executive Secretary, APAARI ([email protected]) and copied to Ms. Cel Bitong ([email protected]). The application should include applicant’s mailing address including a phone number, e-mail id, and a recent passport size photo. Three professional references with name, mailing address, e-mail and phone number should also be provided along with the application.
The deadline for receipt of applications is 30 June 2017. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the interview.
Find the original job advert on the APAARI website.