Job position is available for Management science researcher specialised in digital agriculture for the support of the agroecological transition (M/F) at CIRAD
With its partners, Cirad (French agricultural research centre for international development) produces and shares new knowledge to support innovation and agricultural development in southern countries. Its primary objective is to contribute to sustainable agriculture in tropical and Mediterranean regions that is capable of feeding 10 billion people in 2050, while preserving the environment. If you are interested in partnership-based research and development in southern countries, join the Innovation and Development Joint Research Unit (UMR) (around thirty Cirad staff).
Reference to remind: 2734
Publication date: 03/05/2018
Ending date: 31/05/2018
Type of contract: Permanent
Begining date: As soon as possible
The rise of digital technology (ICT, big data, IA, etc.) is transforming construction, mediation and knowledge-sharing processes between stakeholders for the co-design of innovation in agriculture and is also modifying the organisation of advisory and support services. The situation of southern countries reveals specificities related to the types of innovation, particularly with frugal innovations. However, at both the production level and value chain level, digital agriculture is not free of tensions. The position involves understanding how digital technology can contribute to the agroecological transition through the construction of new knowledge and the facilitation of learning.
More specifically, it involves the following:
1) questioning the effects of these new organizational arrangements and digital tools on the evolution of production systems and value chains with regard to the agroecological transition;
2) questioning the design of these digital tools with stakeholders and the use of these tools by farmers, value chains players and advisers;
3) thinking about the insertion of these digital tools in organisational arrangements. The position will involve combining comparative analyses of support-advisory services, surveys on learning and the transformation of farmers’ and advisors’ practices, as well as action-research with digital and consulting stakeholders, in order to develop generic methods of digital tool co-design.
France – Montpellier (12 to 24 months) and then Africa (West Africa) – probably –
Note: Assignment to southern countries is a preferred form of research at CIRAD. After an initial assignment to Montpellier, other assignments in France or abroad will be considered.
- Thesis in management sciences or innovation sciences
- Knowledge of farming systems and digital agriculture
- Experience in setting up and managing projects appreciated
- Skills in the methods used to support players appreciatedInterest in research with interaction with rural stakeholders and institutions
- Post-doctoral experience abroad appreciated
- Proficiency in English and French (spoken and written)
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team including digital science/computer science
- Ability to adapt to various cultural situations
- Geographical mobility with assignments and expatriation (in tropical environments)
- Computer work
Learn more on CIRAD website