Deadline: 30 June 2018
Vacancy exists for the role of Senior Senior Programme Officer (SPOs) at African Forest Forum (AFF)
The African Forest Forum is recruiting two Senior Programme Officer (SPOs) to be based at its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, reporting to the Executive Secretary. The SPO position is a leadership one in terms of programme or project development and implementation.
Duties and responsibilities
The two SPOs should be capable of developing and managing project activities in some of the following broad areas:
• Sustainable management of forests and trees outside forests, giving attention to measures to contain loss of forest cover, expand the same and better ways to manage forest and tree resources on the continent; including policies and governance requirements for the same;
• Enhancing understanding of the contribution of forests and trees to a better environment in Africa, specifically with regard to adaptation to and mitigation of climate change, as well as development of sustainable management and utilisation practices that could improve resilience of trees and forests and the people who depend on them to adverse effects of climate change;
• Better management and conservation of forests and trees outside forests to enhance their provision of ecosystem services, including biodiversity, nutrient cycling and water supply;
• Generating evidence-based information to support the development of sustainable supplies of sufficient good quality forest products, take advantage of livelihood opportunities based on forests and trees outside forests (including improving food and nutrition security), as well as enhancing the contribution of these resources to poverty eradication on the continent, national incomes and attainment of the SDGs;
-Strengthening the capacity of relevant institutions and individuals to undertake activities in the areas outlined above;
• Strengthening Africa’s capacity to effectively participate in multilateral environmental processes related to forestry and facilitate mainstreaming of decisions from the same. • Collation, synthesis and dissemination of critical information and knowledge to stakeholders through publications in peer reviewed journals, policy briefs, factsheets, working papers and other avenues.
In addition to the above, the SPOs should: • Develop annual plans of work and budgets, as well as relevant reports, for discussion and approval by the AFF Project Steering and Advisory Committee (PSAC); • Secure the attainment of project objectives, outcomes and other deliverables; • Ensure quality assurance with respect to project outputs; • Identify and secure the implementation of project changes and interventions necessary to achieve project outputs; • Facilitating the undertaking of project evaluations and assessment of project results; • Undertake any other responsibilities as may be directed by the Executive Secretary.
Key competencies and skills: • Good communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills; • Good leadership qualities especially with respect to planning, organisation, critical thinking and decision making; • Ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously • Efficient team management skills; • Ability to resolve conflicting situations; • Computer or technical knowledge; • Effective problem-solving skills; • Good fundraising skills; • Adaptability and stress tolerance
Qualification and experience: • Ph.D. in a forestry area, environment, natural resources management or related area; • A minimum of 5 years of post Ph. D. experience; • Must have the capacity and demonstrated experience in the leadership of projects and programmes in forestry; • Must have the capacity and demonstrated experience in application of forest science to the management of natural resources; • Must be a good team player with experience working in a multicultural environment; • Excellent written and oral communication skills in either English or French; working knowledge of the other will be an added advantage.
Terms of offer: AFF and ICRAF are equal opportunity employers and offer a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment, and we strongly encourage applications from qualified women. This position is remunerated on regional terms. The appointment will be for an initial period of two (2) years, subject to a nine (9) months’ probation period.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications and experience should email their CVs and cover letter to [email protected], not later than 30 June 2018. Please attach your cover letter and CV/Resume (as one document – labelled with your First Name and Last Name) with the position’s title as the subject line of the email. Only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.