Agriterra is searching for the role of Business Advisor in Niamey, Niger
We are Agriterra, a Dutch agri-agency that provides business development services to ambitious cooperatives and farmer organisations in developing and emerging economies.
We assist them with advice and training by locally based business advisors and by deploying practitioners from the Dutch and international farmer organisations and (cooperative) companies; the so-called AgriPool experts. We apply a three-track approach: we make cooperatives bankable and create real farmer-led companies, we improve extension services to farmer members, and we enhance farmer-government dialogues. Our advisory practice covers the full range of services on Management & Organisation, Financial Management, Governance, Business Development and Lobby &Advocacy.
Agriterra works from local offices in a large number of countries. We work with self-steering teams, so our employees are challenged to use every bit of determination,
creativity and strategy to achieve our compelling goals. Being a self-steering organisation
makes Agriterra an inspiring and challenging environment for professional growth and development.
Agriterra has an annual turnover of approximately 15 million euros, is ISO certified and has over 150 employees, both in the Netherlands and abroad. For more information, visit our website www.agriterra.org
In 2019 Agriterra will start operations in Niger and therefore we are looking for a:
Business Advisor (m/f)
Location: Niamey, Niger
As a business advisor, you are a coach and advisor of our clients (farmer cooperatives and organisations). You are a real dealmaker, tirelessly creating opportunities how to better serve our clients and how-to better position Agriterra as the number one cooperative specialist in the country. You are an advisor, networker and broker having
the lead in acquisition and marketing of our services. You provide expert advice, monitor
advisory trajectories with clients and you have an advisory and brokerage role in the
closing of deals with, among others, donors, multilateral agencies, trust funds and the
private sector. In order to achieve this, networking is your second nature, leveraging the
potential of our network comprising of cooperatives and farmers’ organisations,
government institutions and all other stakeholders relevant for cooperative development.
• Provide business development advice to and facilitate change management within
cooperatives that will allow for the realisation of business growth potential.
• Acquisition and marketing of Agriterra services and products related to cooperative
• Materialise opportunities to finance business plans of cooperatives, support the
establishment of contacts and negotiate business agreements with banks, investors
and other financiers (governments and the business sector).
• Provide both clients and the team of business advisors with coaching and guidance
relating to change trajectories and stakeholder management, to promote the interests
of farmers, associations and cooperatives, particularly to the authorities of Niger.
• Collect and systematise information about clients and advisory processes, such as
financial reports and annual overviews.
• Position Agriterra in Niger and West Africa as the number one service provider in cooperative business development.
• A Bachelor’s – Master’s degree in business economics or a similar field.
• Extensive experience in and knowledge of one or more fields in which Agriterra achieves results, such as cooperative business development, market chain
development, agricultural service provision, entrepreneurship, governance, and financial management.
• Relevant practical knowledge of and experience in the agri & food and/or cooperative
• Proven experience in programme management with solid reporting and writing skills.
• High level of proficiency in French and English.
• Enthusiastic, focused on results and service and skilled in coaching and change
• Familiar with self-steering and team dynamics.
What we have to offer
A position that requires you to be highly self-reliant and use your pioneering skills in order to operate in dynamic international markets and in close cooperation with the
agricultural business sector. At Agriterra, the work environment is collegial and ambitious, and the focus is on achieving impact. As a business advisor, you will be part of the young and still small Niger team of business advisors as well as a part of the West Africa team. The working conditions and additional benefits are good. The salary offered will depend on your experience, age and family situation.
Are you interested?
Are you interested in this position and do you fit the profile? Apply with a cover letter and curriculum vitae, by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, to the attention of C.C. van Rij, manager agri-advice, with reference code AG 2919.
If you require further information, you can also contact him by sending an e-mail.