Call for Applications: Consultancy services on studies on drivers of forest cover change and loss in different forest types in Africa
Deadline: Friday 13th December 2019
For its annual plan of work 2019-2020, AFF plans to conduct studies to:
identify and analyse the dynamism of key drivers responsible for forest cover loss;
evaluate gender-based measures and initiatives taken by various stakeholders to contain forest cover loss; and
identify and analyse viable alternative sources of livelihood with potential to contain forest cover loss.
For this, the African Forest Forum is recruiting 2 regional experts to undertake these studies in both Anglophone and Francophone African countries.
Purpose of the Work
- Conduct an analytical assessment of drivers of forest cover change, more specifically those that drive deforestation and forest degradation taking in account gender aspects, as well as evaluate past initiatives undertaken to contain forest cover loss in different forest types in Africa.
- The studies are expected to generate key recommendations on strategies and approaches for addressing the drivers of forest cover loss on the continent that simultaneously promote economic and social empowerment of relevant forestry dependent stakeholders.
- Identify and analyse the dynamism of key drivers responsible for forest cover loss in different forest types, and with explicit gender considerations;
- Evaluate gender-based measures and initiatives taken by various stakeholders to reverse deforestation and forest degradation trends;
- With respect to task no. 2 above, undertake a comprehensive analysis of viable alternative sources of livelihood that have potential to contain forest cover loss while simultaneously promoting economic and social empowerment of stakeholders, especially women and youth.
For each study, the expected deliverables are:
A technical report of about 40 pages long, excluding references;
A policy brief, a fact sheet and a journal article, all to be finalised in collaboration with relevant staff at the AFF Secretariat.
Minimum qualifications and skills
Have at least a Master’s degree in natural resources management, forestry, environmental management or any related area; a PhD will be an added advantage
Be a regional expert with broad knowledge and at least five years’ experience in forestry and natural resources management in Africa;
Have good writing skills and have at least written a book chapter and published peer reviewed journal papers; and
Excellent written and oral communication skills in English or French.
Duration of assignment
The tasks in this ToR are for two person‐month of work load, commencing in January 2020 and spread over a period of four months. The consultants shall work from their location but be in close consultation with relevant staff at the AFF Secretariat while keeping to agreed delivery schedule.
How to apply
Please email, quoting the title and number of this consultancy on the subject line and attach a proposal containing:
Cover letter stating how you meet the above qualifications and experience requirements;
Key results area, corresponding specific activities and methodology for executing them;
A data matrix listing information needs plotted against data sources;
A draft work plan (clear deliverables plotted against work weeks for each key result);
A tentative table of contents with corresponding number of pages; and
An updated CV .
With the subject line: “Consultancy no: 01-121 – “Studies on drivers of forest cover change and loss in different forest types in Africa ” to: [email protected] and [email protected] with a copy to [email protected].
Application deadline is 13 December. The expert will be selected based on their relevant experience and demonstrated capability. However, only successful applicants will be contacted.